Sunday, June 28, 2015

Getting Into Summer . . .

It's been super hot here in Sacramento this past week--over 100 degrees a couple days and not much cooling down at night.  But I think we've settled back to the norm for this time of the year, which means temperatures in the 90s during the day but cooling off a bit with the Delta breeze at night (the breeze comes up the delta from the San Francisco Bay and along the rivers that lead to Sacramento).  And wouldn't you know it?  Just when we're at our hottest, golf's U.S. Senior Open tournament comes to town--welcome golfers!  I haven't been following it, but I gather the final round was today, so I guess the Goodyear Blimp will fly away now.   I just feel sorry for the golfers and spectators who had to endure this heat wave.

Hubby's 60th birthday is tomorrow, and we're having a family party at a friend's house.  I'm bringing the side dishes, so at least part of the weekend was spent at the Farmers' Market, grocery stores, and my own little kitchen.  I have a batch of beans going in the crockpot in the morning before work, and I'll bake up a pan of cornbread, but otherwise I'm ready.

On the quilting front, I've been slowly quilting a chicken quilt.  I made the quilt top several years ago from, if I remember correctly, a Buggy Barn pattern--it's one of those quilts where you stack up the fat quarters, cut, and then swap pieces around.  I made this one using red, black, yellow, and cream, and while I really like it a lot, I'm just not sure where a chicken quilt belongs in my home, so I've delayed quilting it.  But I'm sure I'll find a place for it.  I'm kind of thinking it's summery looking, so maybe I'll hang it in my entryway after the 4th of July quilt comes down--assuming I get it done by then, of course.

I thought I'd let you know that I found someone who was willing to part with their Christmas Memories booklets that I posted about last time--I'm just waiting for them to arrive in my mailbox.  Here's what the quilt looks like--the one I really want to make from the booklets:


I've seen a version posted online where the quilter didn't do the appliqued border (just used a nice striped fabric) and I think it's almost as pretty, but we'll see how it goes once I get to that point. I just love Blackbird Designs books, but for some reason, I don't seem to buy them when they first come out; it's always AFTER they're out of print that I find I need them.  I remember when Women of Grace and Charm came out, I looked at it and thought about getting it but didn't; now it's not really available anymore unless you want to pay a small fortune, and I don't, but maybe I'll come across it someday, somewhere.

I took time out from food shopping and cooking tpday to make a quick trip to a vintage/antique faire, of sorts.  There weren't too many vendors but the event was put on by an antique-mall type of shop that I hadn't been in before, so between one thing and another, I came home with a couple of finds.  Outside in the back of the store, I found a beautiful blue casserole dish made by Halls for Montgomery Wards--I've admired them for some time but I hadn't come across one in my price range until now.  I also found two "project" pieces--an old decorative wooden two shelf unit - the kind that used to be found in bathrooms or other small spaces - and a long glass-fronted cabinet door.  Yes, just the door.  No idea what I'll do with it, but it has promise.  I think I'll probably chalk paint the shelf.

Lately I've been fantasizing about re-doing older small pieces of luggage and perhaps selling some of them at some point, so I've been "collecting" train/cosmetic cases and the smallest size of suitcases.  I told myself I need to stop buying any more until I actually start doing something with them, but I came across one today that I couldn't pass up.  It looks like this one--

It still has the key, and the inside looks almost like new, with an adjustable mirror and a plastic tray that sits in the top part.  Perfect for a sewing case, right?  And just $15.  I didn't even try to negotiate a lower price!  If you look at my Pinterest board called "Train/Cosmetic Case Wizardry" you'll see I've been "collecting" ideas.

I hope you've had a good week and are looking forward to a happy 4th of July.  I'll be back again . . . hopefully soon!

8 comments:

Sheryn said...

I was wondering if anyone else was willing to part with their Christmas patterns? I would be interested also!

Anonymous said...

And Happy 4th to you also and Happy Birthday to your hubby! That quilt is beautiful, and a HUGE undertaking of applique! But YOU will accomplish it! Great to be hearing from you again! Florence

Nancie Anne Quilts said...

Yay! I'm glad that contact worked out! Guess which other book is in my library...;-)

Jane A. said...

I have "Women of Grace and Charm also, am almost done piecing the block, making the red and blue version with almost all the original fabrics which I bought years ago.

Jane A. said...

Perhaps we could all form some sort of list of folks who could convince Barb and Alma to publish the Christmas quilt booklets again. Perhaps :the Rabbits Lair quilt shop could help, as they did a block -aamonth program from it years ago.

على جمال said...

شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة تنظيف كنب بالرياض
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياض

شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الفئران بالرياض
شركة مكافحة النمل الاسود بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الصراصير بالرياض

Success James said...

I am here to give my testimony about Dr Ebhota who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by salami, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Ehbota cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get cure from Dr Ebhota healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like
(1) CANCER,
(2) DIABETES,
(3) HIV&AIDS,
(4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
(5) CANCER,
(6) IMPOTENCE,
(7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
(8) DIARRHEA
(9) ASTHMA
(10)SIMPLEX HERPES AND GENITAL
(11)COLD SORE
HERPES. he also cure my friend from cervical cancer Email: drebhotasoultion@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348089535482

raj biswas said...


Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog website?
The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of
this your broadcast offered bright clear concept
english stories english short stories with moral value What is the factorial of 100